Most European cars like: Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen Porsche, Land Rover and Jaguar are susceptible to water intrusion due to plugged water drain ,tubes or body drains. Water will damage electrical systems like ECM, PCM or other modules and wiring as well as interior of your European, Asian or American car. To fix water damage permanently without worry of a “come back,” you must remove everything related to the leak.
- Dismantle. Work from top to bottom. If the headliner is water logged … it comes out. If door panels are water damaged…they come out too. Trunk liner wet? It comes out. In almost every case you will be removing the seats and carpet. If there’s mold…wear a respirator.
- Dry. Crack all windows about 4 inches. Place two oscillating fans inside the car for around 12 hours. Everything must be bone dry.
- Track and seal the leak. One tech in the car with a flashlight. One outside with a water hose. Look for drips and seal them with 3M sealant from an auto parts store. Once the sealant is dry, test test test the repair with a hose or even a pressure washer.
- Check for mold. Treat with a mildewcide per directions. We recommend Steri-Fab.
- Shampoo and dry everything that got wet. It helps to hang carpets and even seats so the water drips out. Thoroughly vacuum the “edge” where gravity takes the water to.
- Might need to Replace carpet padding. Most jobs will involve wet, moldy padding.
- Completely reassemble. Check that EVERYTHING WORKS: Seat heaters, controls, window switches and sunroof…because your customers will.
Repairing water leaks in vehicles is a very involved process. There is a lot of time spent identifying the possible causes of the leaks and Testing different areas of the vehicle making sure the problem is fixed. Most of the time it’s a two men job locating the leaks. Cars leak due to deteriorated body seals, weather-stripping, plugged drain tubes, poor seam sealing, damaged lights and etc……..
We work with all insurance companies in car water leak and water ingress situations. Don’t hesitate to call.